Live music venues
There are an incredible number of venues that put on live music either occasionally or regularly. This is a fairly comprehensive list, although I am bound to have missed some off.
If you spot any that need to be added please let me know.
Links (where included) will take you to a more detailed page about the venue.
- Landmark Theatre
- The Landmark is our stunning and aptly named theatre complex. Completed in 1997 it replaced the crumbling Victoria Pavilion. It has been heavily criticised by locals for being an eyesore, but not everyone dislikes it. The building is purpose built for the modern era and boast excellent facilities including great disabled access. Plays host to touring bands including Sixties veterans and tribute acts.
- The Pavillion
- A smaller venue within the Landmark Theatre complex. Sometimes used to host music events.
- Upstairs at Buddies
- Recently (re)opened as a music venue in 2012. Hosts a range of local and touring bands.
- The Chill Bar
- The Chill Bar has a relaxed atmosphere yet hosts some great heavy rock bands as well as acoustic acts and two excellent open mic nights. Acoustic open mic on Tuesday and full band on Thursday.
- Buddies (downstairs)
- Very large pub venue but with limited views of the stage area. Hosts mainly local bands.
- The Lamb
- A dedicated stage and great local bands every week. Also started hosting Karaoke nights.
- Bunch Of Grapes
- Re-opened in 2012 after being closed down for several months. Planning to have regular live bands of all genres.
- Sandpiper Inn
- Regular live music.
- Pier Tavern
- Large pub that has bands on regularly.
- The Waverly Inn
- Strictly acoustic only in this open and friendly pub
- The Ship and Pilot
- I have seen music advertised here pretty consistently.
- Prince Of Wales
- Very low ceilings makes for intimate gigs in this very old pub.
- The Boathouse
- Opposite the Landmark on the seafront. Hosts acoustic and semi acoustic acts.
- The Seahorse
- Regular karaoke.
- Cook Island, Mullacot
- Just out of town at Mullacot Cross, they hold jam nights and regular live music events.
- Wellington Arms
- Don't know much about this venue, but I know they have live music, at least sometimes.
- Special events
- There are several regular live music events held in the town inclding beer festivals and the South west Birdman event.